Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Teeth

The other night we were getting the kids ready for bed, and Neil was brushing Luke's teeth. He had just got the second of his front top teeth, and had 4 in total. I commented on how pleased I was with the shape of them, as his lower ones are very thin and jagged. I also said that it was funny how he was getting his teeth in the usual order, when I had read that kids with DS often cross-cut their teeth. We were laughing because Emily cross-cut, particularly the top ones, and at one stage she looked really peculiar with the front right tooth, and the next one to the right through, and none on the left.

The next morning I noticed Luke's cheeks were really red and dry, and had been for a few days. I put my finger in his mouth to see if there was any action. Imagine my surprise to find 2 top molars! One is totally through, and the other half way cut.

When will I learn to keep my mouth shut!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

All that sand must help with his teething ;)

Nan P. said...

So that makes 6 teeth in total? Great!

To me, the moral of this story is that life with DS is full of surprises... never a dull moment, never what you expect, whether you remark on it or not ;-)

Brandie said...

Those molars always catch me by suprise, too!

Monica Crumley said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Yes, it's nice when peds make positive comments about a feature typical in children w/ Ds. Teeth are a strange thing, too. John Michael has 4 on top, 4 on bottom, and then some sharp molars breaking through all over. Poor guy, it really bothers him.