Thursday, June 11, 2009

Heart Check

On Monday afternoon Luke is having an echo cardiogram to check his heart. He has not had one since the day after he was born. Then his PDA was still open, and he had an 8mm Atrial Septal Defect. Most doctors can't hear anything, but the new paediatrician reckons she can. I haven't met her yet- I was sick for the appointment, so Neil went with Luke instead. But I'm not overly keen on her from a couple of wee issues we have had. We shall see.

The best case scenario is that the holes will have spontaneously closed. Not likely, but it has been known to happen. You will hear me wherever you are if that is the case! Most likely is that is has shrunk, but is still there, or is the same size without causing any symptoms. That is okay too, and we will wait until he is old enough to have surgery via catheter instead of open heart surgery, which is a huge bonus. And I guess the worst case is that it has gotten worse, and he needs to have something done sooner.

So fingers crossed, and I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

I am hoping for best case scenario for Luke! :)

Nan P. said...

Keeping Fingers, toes, legs, arms and eyes crossed... Just to be sure.

I will think of you sunday night before going to bed... as that's when you'll be getting up Monday morning ;-)